Saturday, 15 April 2017

Portrait in parts

For this portrait I'm starting off by using some stencils and stamps to make a background. I especially like the stencil with the jumbled letters and numbers you can see below all the others. There is also some acrylic paint, disposable palette papers, and sponge rollers.


I used the first colour paint over the stencil (left hand side) which leaves some of the white surface of the canvas showing. I then flipped the stencil and used black paint on the remaining bit of canvas. I continued to flip and apply paint.


Time for a few stamp impressions.



I now have a background on the canvas - I may need to over paint to make it more black later.


Next step, is to make a similar effect on some card which I'm going to cut up into labels.


 Cutting up the cardboard prints (which have been backed with black card)


Using a bradawl to make a hole.


Threading with my chosen thread, and attaching to the painted canvas.


 Adding more. They hang loose from the top. When happy I'll fix them permanently with a staple gun and hide it all under a piece of fabric or similar.

 Showing the reverse of my tags. There's nothing on them yet, but I shall fill with sketches/paintings etc of eyes, noses, mouths, ears - whatever takes my fancy!! A portrait in parts.


1 comment: